This is the little fried sweet and salty dumplings they serve at Yum Cha. It’s also known as a fried crescent dumpling.
Surprisingly easy to make. To the recipe above, I’d add some Chinese 5 spice to give it a really Asian taste.
I also made a vegetarian version of it using different forms of mushroom (fried black fungus, shittake mushrooms etc), but with the same seasoning. Surprisingly tasted nice.
Ingredients for the fillings:
1 cup ground chicken or pork
3 dried shiitake mushroom – soaked until soft and diced small
1 small carrot – diced small
1 small onion – diced small
2 cloves garlic – chopped
2 green onions – diced small
A small bunch of chives – cut small
1/2 cup water
1 tsp cornstarch + 1 tbsp water
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp pepper
salt to taste
1. Heat up some oil in a wok, stir fry garlic and onion until fragrant and lightly brown. Add in ground meat. Break up the meat and continue to cook until the meat changes color. Add in the mushrooms and carrot. Stir fry for a few minutes and add in all the seasoning and water.
2. Continue to simmer until the meat is cooked and add in the cornstarch mixture. Stir until sauce thickens. Add in the spring onions,chives and sesame oil. Stir until combined. Remove from heat and set it aside to cool down before using.
ngredients for the Pastry:
Adapted from CH3RRI
2 cups glutinous rice flour
2/3 cup wheat starch
2/3 cup hot boiling water
3/4 – 1 cup water
5 tbsp sugar
1. Place wheat starch in a large bowl and add in hot boiling water. Stir with chopsticks until dough comes together.
2. Stir in sugar and mix well. Mix in glutinous rice flour. Stir and add in water slowly (you might not need the whole cup) to form dough. If the dough is too wet then add in just a little more glutinous rice flour.
3. Divide into 18 – 20 pieces. Fatten out the dough with your fingers, add in 1 ½ tsp fillings. Close up the dough and form into dumpling like shape (don’t put too much filling as it will be difficult to wrap them up)
6. Heat oil on medium heat and fry dumplings until golden.