When I was in New York last year, I went on a Lower East Side food tour. One of the stops on the tour was to Yonah Schimmel Knishery. I’d never heard of a knish before, but it is a delicious Jewish potato dumpling thing.
My NY inspired knish recipe draws from http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Yonah-Schimmel-Low-Fat-New-York-City-Knish-Recipe.html
1. Make potato mash. I add lots of milk and chicken stock to make it smooth.
2. Add chives, salt and pepper to potato mash.
3. Get a sheet of puff pastry, cut into strips of approx 10 cms and let it thaw for a bit
4. Use a rolling pin and roll out the puff pastry as thin as possible
5. Put dollops of potato mash on the long side of the puff pastry and roll up (just like a puff pastry potato roll)
6. Squeeze the ends to seal
7. Every 5 cm along the sausage, squeeze and twist off a knish. This automatically seals the knish.
8. Brush with butter and bake in oven.
9. Sometimes the knishes burst, so might be worthwhile making small holes in the knishes.