Experimenting on various recipes online, I found that wet marinades didn’t really provide the herbs and spices kick I wanted, and dry marinades didn’t give enough evenness of a wet marinade and I couldn’t use liquid smoke with it.
This is my recipe (give or take several ingredients depending on what I have available.
Ingredients for the wet marinade
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
2 tablespoons honey
Ingredients for the dry marinade
1 tablespoon parsley
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon hot cayenne powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Prague powder 1
1. Slice beef thinly – helps to freeze it partially before hand
2. Mix ingredients for wet marinade and marinade beef for several hours / overnight
3. Mix all dry marinade ingredients together
4. Remove beef from wet marinade and sprinkle with dry marinade.
5. Stick a piece in the microwave, zap and then taste test. Add more ingredients depending on what it tastes like.
6. Stick in dehydrator and wait.